Together with hundreds of colleagues and tens of thousands of volunteers, Dorcas invests in sustainable change in the lives of people in need.
For those in need! Dorcas is active in Eastern Europe, Eastern Africa and the Middle East. Local colleagues lead our 14 country offices. We invest in resilient communities in which everyone can participate. We help over one million people annually. When a disaster or a crisis occurs, we provide humanitarian assistance and support communities to rebuild themselves. At the same time, we invest in structural solutions for poverty and social exclusion. In our work we are accountable, compassionate, determined and locally led.
After Dorcas worked in Yemen in 2019 and 2020 through partnerships in food security activities, Dorcas registered in 2021 and is building up operations with a small team focusing on FSL, WASH and Protection, including MHPSS. Dorcas is member of the Dutch Relief Alliance and participates in the Yemen Joint Response 2022-2023. This position includes frequent travel to project implementation areas in the southern part of Yemen.
At this moment we are recruiting an experienced and ambitious
(Aden, Yemen, non-family posting)
Purpose of the position
As our new country director, you are responsible for developing and implementing the Dorcas strategy in Yemen. To ensure the strategy is implemented successfully you will further establish the country office and Dorcas’ operations. Within the framework of an approved country annual plan, you will deliver an increasing number of high-quality programs and will successfully pursue growth in funding. In addition, you will maintain relationships with strategic stakeholders and will ensure sound financial management. Together with your team and with support from our International Office you are responsible for the long term and overall success of the programs in Yemen. As country director you will also focus on team management & development and quality control & evaluation. You report to the Executive Board at our International Office in the Netherlands.
As country director you are responsible for:
- Providing leadership to the local Dorcas team with high professional and integrity standards.
- Representing Dorcas in Yemen.
- Formulating, implementing, and reviewing of the country strategic and annual plan within the framework of the Dorcas strategy and policies.
- Ensuring high quality program design, project proposals, and project implementation.
- Identifying, creating, and capitalizing on institutional funding opportunities for further growth and expansion of the program portfolio in Yemen.
- Developing new partnerships with local organisations and other (I)NGOs.
- Maintaining and establishing successful strategic relations with embassies, international donors, INGOs, local government bodies, UN coordination structures and other relevant stakeholders.
- Ensuring strong and outstanding collaborative relations with the Dorcas International Office.
- Ensuring quality in implementation standards, guidelines, and reporting.
- Timely submission of reports to all stakeholders including donors according to their requirements.
- Developing an organisational culture that reflects the values of Dorcas.
- Creating an environment of continuous learning where staff are encouraged and supported to grow and develop and are willing to be held accountable for their commitments.
This is an exceptional opportunity for an entrepreneurial and ambitious professional with senior experience in program management to be part of a new country organisation. Specific requirements include:
- Master’s degree in international development, humanitarian action, disaster management or other relevant field.
- Minimum of five years relevant working experience in (senior) program management in humanitarian aid/ international development.
- Proven track record in identifying, creating, and capitalizing on institutional funding opportunities.
- Demonstrated experience in representing a non-profit organisation and building personal and professional networks at a senior level.
- Good understanding of program, financial and operational management processes.
- Good understanding of key trends in international and humanitarian development.
- Experience building, leading, and developing a growing team of staff with different backgrounds and expertise, empowering them to elevate their levels of responsibility and performance.
- Extensive experience working in an international and cross-cultural context.
- Strong experience with security management and protocols.
- Strong communication skills both verbally and written (including negotiation and presentation skills).
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, interpersonal, and cross-cultural sensitivity.
- Stable character with the ability to cope with stressful and delicate situations.
- Fluent in English and preferably good command of Arabic.
- Being a Christian and fully supporting the vision and mission of Dorcas.
- Candidates fitting the profile and originating from or living in the region are encouraged to apply.
Dorcas offers the opportunity to become part of a growing international NGO with a dedicated team of professionals. Dorcas offers a suitable pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. Furthermore, you will be offered an initial 12-month contract. Depending on continued funding, your performance and fit with the organisation and staff, the contract will be extended.
Information and application
Interested and qualified candidates are kindly invited to send a cover letter and resume (both in English) no later than February 2nd, 2023, to email@example.com. In your cover letter please reflect on your motivation for wanting to become part of Dorcas being a Christian organisation. For more information about this position or the recruitment process, please contact David, recruiter, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at +31682568838.
Due to the urgency to fill this role, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We reserve the right to close this advert before the confirmed closing date when we are in receipt of sufficient applications. Should you wish to apply for this post, you are kindly advised to submit your application as soon as possible. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. An assessment may be part of the recruitment process.
When applying for this position please be aware that working in Yemen requires passing a medical examination.
All Dorcas employees sign the Dorcas code of conduct and are obliged to adhere to it. Please read our Code of Conduct. The protection of the child has specific attention in our code of conduct. We hereby follow the PSEA guidelines (Protection Against Sexual Exploitation and Abuse). During the application process we can perform a background check, including references from former employers.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com