Website Dorcas Ukraine
Together with hundreds of colleagues and tens of thousands of volunteers, Dorcas invests in sustainable change in the lives of people in need.
For those in need! Dorcas is active in Eastern Europe, Eastern Africa, and the Middle East. Local colleagues lead our 14 country offices. We invest in resilient communities in which everyone can participate. We help over one million people annually. When a disaster or a crisis occurs, we provide humanitarian assistance and support communities to rebuild themselves. At the same time, we invest in structural solutions for poverty and social exclusion. In our work we are accountable, compassionate, determined and locally led.
The war in Ukraine has resulted in a major humanitarian crisis. Many people face the consequences of war, are internally displaced to other parts of Ukraine, or have left the country. Dorcas provides support to those in need, from three offices in Ukraine: one in Uzhhorod, one in Zaporizhzhia and one in Dnipro. Our work in Ukraine is growing and therefore we are recruiting a
Director of Programmes
(Fulltime, Uzhhorod or Kyiv)
Purpose of the position
As Director of Programmes, you are responsible for the overall leadership and management of new and existing projects and programmes in Ukraine. You strategically connect with external stakeholders, partners, and donors. Together with your teams you identify, formulate, and implement high-quality programmes. In our humanitarian and development (Nexus) projects and programmes we emphasize empowering local ownership and lasting impact through adequate sustainability. You are part of the country management team (CMT) that consists of our Country Director (CD), Manager Finance, and 2 Area Managers (that report to you). As CMT member you lead the strategic direction of Dorcas Ukraine. You provide strategic, organisational, and practical support to the CD. In this position you frequently travel between Uzhhorod and Kyiv and also visit our other offices.
In this position you will be responsible for:
- Providing leadership for the development of the country strategic and annual plan (incl. programmes, project plans and budgets).
- High-quality design of projects and programmes in close cooperation with the Area Managers and Technical and Thematic Experts.
- Overseeing the implementation and monitoring of all projects through the Area Managers and ensuring full compliance to donor policies.
- Representing Dorcas Ukraine in networks and fora at national level; building and maintaining positive relationships with (potential) in-country institutional donors, strategic Ukrainian partners and other (external) stakeholders.
- Taking the lead in designing winning proposals and contributing to a growing portfolio.
- Ensuring timely and high-quality internal and external reporting of all area-based program development activities.
- The final selection of partnerships at all levels using assessment tools and guidelines.
- Leading developing and implementing partner capacity strengthening plans.
- Building competence in programme teams to ensure the Area Managers, Project Managers and Project Officers are accountable for their individual project results, tasks, and budgets.
- Together with the Area Managers building high performing programme teams ensuring implementation of the Dorcas performance management system.
- Creating an inclusive and empowering work environment enabling all staff to excel and inspiring innovation.
- Quarterly reporting on programme activities to the international office.
Are you looking for the chance to become part of our work in Ukraine? This is an outstanding opportunity for a visionary humanitarian leader to be part of a growing country organisation. Becoming successful as Director of Programmes means you:
- Fully support our vision, mission, and core Christian values.
- Are a visionary leader with strong participatory leadership and coaching skills.
- Have interpersonal, cross cultural and organisational sensitivity.
- Are flexible and have good analytical and writing skills.
- Are able to work in a fluid and insecure environment.
- Have strong command of English, preferably knowledge of Ukrainian or Russian language.
- Have senior experience in a similar position, preferably in a conflict/ post-conflict setting.
- Hold a university degree in a humanitarian, development, or other relevant field.
Working with Dorcas Ukraine
We offer the exciting opportunity to lead our work in Eastern Ukraine. Working with Dorcas means you will:
- Become part of a growing, ambitious, and well-established international organisation.
- Lead a growing team of dedicated colleagues working to save lives and enable sustainable change in Ukraine.
- Work with expats and national professionals and a dedicated team in the Netherlands.
- Be provided with professional training opportunities.
- Receive a 12-month contract or consultancy contract and good benefits.
Information and application
You are kindly invited to send a cover letter and resume (both in English) no later than May 10th to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about this position or the recruitment process, please contact David, recruiter, at the above e-mail or at +31682568838.
Due to the urgency to fill this role, we review applications on a rolling basis. We reserve the right to close this advert before the confirmed closing date when we are in receipt of sufficient applications. Should you wish to apply for this post you are kindly advised to submit your application as soon as possible. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. An assessment may be part of the recruitment process.
All Dorcas employees sign the Dorcas code of conduct and are obliged to adhere to it. The protection of the child has specific attention in our code of conduct. We hereby follow the PSEA guidelines (Protection Against Sexual Exploitation and Abuse). During the application process we can perform a background check, including references from former employers. Read our Code of Conduct.