Site ZOA Dorcas South Sudan
ZOA and Dorcas partner together in South Sudan to achieve greater impact for people in need.
ZOA, an international NGO founded in the Netherlands, supports people who have lost everything due to armed conflict or natural disaster. We are active in Africa, South America, the Middle East, and Asia. We work with almost nine hundred employees worldwide and with (local) partners.
Dorcas, also an international NGO founded in the Netherlands, is active in Eastern Europe, Eastern Africa, and the Middle East. When a disaster or a crisis occurs, we provide humanitarian assistance and support communities to rebuild themselves. At the same time, we invest in structural solutions for poverty and social exclusion. We work with almost 400 employees worldwide and with (local) partners.
ZOA South Sudan was founded in 1998 and Dorcas started operating in South Sudan in 2000. As of 2022, ZOA and Dorcas have established a partnership in South Sudan, integrating the operations of both organisations into one joint working organisation: ZOA Dorcas South Sudan. The purpose is to achieve greater impact for people in need. ZOA Dorcas South Sudan is recruiting a
Our work in South Sudan
Our joint programmes focus on FSL, WASH, Technical and Vocational Education and Training, Entrepreneurship, and Peacebuilding. Inclusion (gender and disability) is a crosscutting theme. Where possible different sectors are combined to allow for integrated programming providing a holistic response. We work in Jonglei, Western Bahr El Ghazal, Warrap States, and the Greater Pibor Administrative Area, and aim to expand to more geographical areas. The current annual budget approximates USD 6 million.
You are responsible for the leadership and the integral management of our programmes and activities. You focus on establishing a well-functioning joint team (about one hundred employees), as well as realizing the growth ambition of the portfolio, aimed at reaching more people in need with effective and high-quality programming. You report to the Chief Programme Officer of ZOA and have a reporting line to the Board of the ZOA Dorcas Cooperation in the Netherlands. You frequently visit the field and are able to travel internationally.
Your main tasks and responsibilities
As country director you are responsible for:
- Providing leadership to the team, including chairing the country management team (CMT);
- Representing ZOA Dorcas South Sudan;
- Designing a 5-year strategy for our joint organisation in collaboration with the CMT;
- Formulating and implementing the country annual plan (including the annual country budget);
- Formulating, developing, implementing, and supervising programmes;
- Ensuring high quality project cycle management, including formulation of concept papers and proposals, budgeting, monitoring and reporting;
- Supervising the administrative and financial organisation, HRM, and the security management system and compliance there of by staff;
- Promoting and maintaining a culture that reflects our shared values;
- Ensuring the portfolio meets all compliance standards and donor requirements; stimulating a drive for quality and impact;
- Driving our vision on localisation, ensuring local capacity is supported and strengthened and local knowledge and expertise are seen as valuable resources to drive programmatic choices and decisions;
- Ensuring the quality of existing collaboration with local partners and supporting strengthening their capacity;
- Developing new partnerships with local organisations, maintaining, and establishing successful strategic relations with embassies, international donors, INGOs, local government bodies, UN coordination structures and other relevant stakeholders.
This is an exceptional opportunity for an ambitious and high energy professional with considerable senior experience in program management in humanitarian aid or international development, to be part of a dynamic and new country organisation. Specific requirements include:
- A Master’s degree in international development, humanitarian action, disaster management or other relevant field;
- Preferably several years experience working as country director or at least five years relevant senior programme management experience in a humanitarian and cross-cultural setting, preferably in South Sudan or a similar context;
- A proven track record in identifying, creating, and capitalizing on institutional funding opportunities;
- Demonstrated experience representing an INGO and building personal and professional networks at a senior level;
- Good understanding of programme, financial and operational (including security) management;
- Good understanding of key trends in international and humanitarian development;
- Experience building, leading, and developing a growing team of staff with diverse backgrounds and expertise, empowering them to elevate their levels of responsibility, span-of-control and performance;
- Able to promote and model a Christian, people focused, and participative leadership style and culture;
- Visionary and strategic thinking, organisational sensitivity, and strong networking skills;
- Analytical and writing skills and excellent command of English, both verbally and written;
- Being a Christian and fully supporting our vision and mission.
We offer the exciting opportunity to become part of a new joint organisation with a dedicated team of expat and national professionals. We offer a suitable pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. Furthermore, you will be offered a 3-year contract. Depending on continued funding, your performance and fit with the organization and staff, the contract will be extended.
ZOA Dorcas South Sudan operates under the registration of ZOA. Therefore, this position is contractually with ZOA. This posting is open for candidates accompanied by a partner, but not suitable for families with children.
Interested and ready to apply?
Interested and qualified candidates are kindly invited to send a cover letter and resume (both in English) no later than November 6th, 2022, to email@example.com. In your cover letter please reflect on your motivation for wanting to become part of our Christian organisation. For more information about this position or the recruitment process, please contact David, recruiter, at +31682568838 or the above e-mail address.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. An assessment will be part of the recruitment process. It is our aim to inform all other candidates of their status in the recruitment process within 4 weeks after the vacancy has closed.
Please note that we carry out background and reference checks (including COTER – Counter Terrorism check) for all candidates as part of the recruitment process. As ZOA and Dorcas participate in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme, all reference checks include a written questionnaire: the “Statement of Conduct”, which will be sent to past employers regarding Misconduct (such as sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment).
Om te solliciteren op deze vacature stuur je je sollicitatie naar firstname.lastname@example.org