Website Dorcas Aid International
We desire justice, both for people and their communities, so that they flourish. We strive for lasting change for those who live in poverty, are excluded, or are caught in a crisis. This is how we follow Jesus Christ.
We are Dorcas and we desire justice, both for people and their communities, so that they flourish. We strive for lasting change for those who live in poverty, are excluded, or are caught in a crisis.
We are a Christian organization and we work prayerfully. We value entrepreneurship and are ready to go off the beaten track. We desire to partner with everyone who shares our mission. We have country offices in Eastern Europe, Africa and the Middle East.
Dorcas has been operating in South Sudan since 2009. Currently we are implementing projects in FSL , nutrition, WASH, vocational training and entrepreneurship in Western Bahr El Ghazal (Wau and Jur River) and Warrap (Gogrial West). Dorcas South Sudan is a self-implementing organization, but we also work closely together with national implementing partners. Our main office is located in Wau.
At this moment we are recruiting an experienced and ambitious:
Head of Operations
(Stationed in Wau, South Sudan)
Non-family duty station
Starting date: as soon as possible
Frequent travel is required
Purpose of the position
The Head of Operations ensures the effectiveness and efficiency of the operational support processes. This challenging position requires an highly qualified candidate with a hands-on mentality. The position is directly responsible for logistics, procurement, warehouse management and ICT in the main office located in Wau. He/she is functionally responsible for these activities in the field locations. The Head of Operations is a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT).
Strategy and leadership
- Develop a strategic focus on the position of the department and represent that position as part of the SMT.
- Pro-active contribution to the strategic direction of the organization through an active participation in the SMT.
- Daily management of the operations department consisting of a procurement officer, logistics officer, store keeper, drivers and cleaners.
- Ensure compliance with logistics, procurement, warehouse, and ICT policies and SOPs, and update them if required to ensure Dorcas’ and donors’ standards are met.
- Develop and monitor departmental budget.
- Coach and tutor staff regarding applicable policies and procedures.
- Other tasks as assigned by the Country Director within the framework of the position.
- Responsible for overall fleet operations, maintenance, repairs and safe operational condition of the fleet of vehicles and motor bikes.
- Responsible for proper planning and use of vehicles, ensuring that transport services are cost efficient and reliable.
- Responsible for the coordination and timely delivery of supplies to projects.
- Responsible for timely and cost-efficient procurement of goods and services in line with the Dorcas procurement policy, applicable legal requirement and donor guidelines. This also includes proper documentation and contracting of suppliers and other service providers.
- Coordinate with program management and finance department in the preparation of monthly and annual operational plans and budgets to ensure an adequate planning of procurement and logistics.
- Maintain and develop strategic partnerships with suppliers that provide quality goods and services in a reliable setting.
Asset & warehouse management
- Responsible for maintenance of the central asset register.
- Ensure warehouses are managed in line with the applicable policy and all stock is well taken care of.
Facility management & ICT
- Responsible for the maintenance and proper use of the facilities in the office compound and the guesthouse.
- Responsible for the ICT infrastructure, safeguarding of data and proper use of ICT equipment.
- Master’s degree in Procurement and Supply Chain Management with postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration or equivalents in related fields.
- Minimum of five (5) years international field experience in a humanitarian context of which three (3) in a similar position.
- Experience working in an international and cross cultural context.
- Excellent planning, organizational and reporting skills.
- Ability to maintain relations with stakeholders in all circumstances.
- Coaching, analytical and writing skills.
- Flexibility, adaptability, firm in adherence to policies.
- Strong communication skills in English, both verbally and written (including negotiation and presentation skills).
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and interpersonal and cultural sensitivity.
- Settled character with ability to cope with stressful, delicate and possibly dangerous situations.
- Being a Christian, adhering to the Christian identity of Dorcas.
- Full support for the vision and mission of Dorcas.
Dorcas offers the opportunity to become part of a growing International NGO with a dedicated team of professionals. Dorcas offers a suitable pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. Furthermore, you will be offered an initial 12 month contract. Depending on continued funding, your performance and fit with the organization and staff, the contract will be extended. Rest and recuperation conditions apply for this post.
Information and application
Interested and qualified candidates are kindly invited to send a cover letter and resume (both in English) no later than March 30th, 2020 to [email protected]. In your cover letter please reflect on your motivation for wanting to become part of Dorcas, being a Christian organization.
For more information about this position or the recruitment process, please contact Mr. David Karelse, Recruitment Officer, at [email protected] or at +31682568838.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Due to the urgency to fill this role, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We reserve the right to close this advert before the confirmed closing date when we are in receipt of sufficient applications. Should you wish to apply for this post you are kindly advised to submit your application as soon as possible. An assessment may be part of the recruitment process. Local candidates and candidates that have experience working in South Sudan are particularly encouraged to apply.
All staff are required to sign and adhere to the Dorcas Code of Conduct including Child Safeguarding (following guidelines of PSEA – Protection against Sexual Exploitation and abuse). Recruitment is subject to successful completion of all applicable background checks, including references and criminal record checks.
You can find the Dorcas Code of Conduct on our website: https://www.dorcas.org/approach/